A Community Church
There has been a settlement at Longborough (named after the Long Barrow above the village) for about 5,000 years. The first church that we know of dates back to the 12th century, when a priest was murdered in the building. At that stage it consisted of a simple nave and chancel, of which the chancel arch remains to this day.
The church itself was appropriated to Hailes Abbey in 1325, and monks from the Abbey served in the parish until 1539, although they were not noted for the loving treatment of their parishioners.
Services take place on the first and fourth Sundays at 10:00 am, with other occasional services as announced. For an update on all the services, not just in Longborough but in the whole benefice clock on this link.
Today St. James’s Church still stands at the centre of the village community. There are close links with the local church school, which often uses the building for school services. There is a very active Friends of St. James’s raising money for the upkeep of the building. There is a small but lively group meeting weekly for Bible study and prayer. Please join us at a service if you can. For more information contact one of the church wardens.