We are part of the Diocese of Gloucester, the collection of Anglican churches within the boundaries of the County of Gloucestershire. The diocese is served by 305 parishes, 390 churches and 116 church schools. To find out more log on to the diocesan website.
Gloucester Cathedral, for many the centre of the diocese, stands in the north of the city of Gloucester, not far from the River Severn. It originated in 678 or 679 with the foundation of an abbey dedicated to Saint Peter. It is an extraordinary building which attracts many thousands of visitors each year.
The first, and most famous, Bishop of Gloucester was a man called John Hooper. In 1555 he was burnt at the stake, in front of his own cathedral, but he remains to this day one of the greatest figures of the English Reformation. For his story, click on the video below.